Don’t be scared and don’t listen to people who think you are crazy for having your colors before your dress or your menu before your location. JUST MAKE DECISIONS. What do I mean? If you know ANYTHING that you want for sure at your DIY wedding, make the decision, don’t go back, and do the research to make it happen. Bookmark everything you decide and move on. Don’t turn back unless you absolutely have to.
That being said, in reality, your most important first two decisions are date and location. Once that is locked in, you can move forward with Save The Dates, invitations, room blocks, and your wedding website.
Jeff and I can’t look at locations until the weekend before Thanksgiving, but that doesn’t mean we can’t lock in other things we like before that. A really good DIY wedding requires psycho style planning! We will be doing the job of MANY people over the course of the next 10 months. Choose anything you can think of to get it out-of-the-way!
Here is our list of almost everything we have to deal with (highlighted items are decisions we’ve already made, started, or narrowed down):
- Date (ours is September 24! )
- Location– tent rental for bad weather, porta-potties, tables, chairs, small ceremony platform, sound system of some sort
- Room Blocks
- List of Guests and all addresses
- Invitations– Design them. Then choose paper, patterns, and font.
- Rehearsal Dinner
- Wedding Menu– personalized potato chip bags, personalized picnic containers
- Wedding signage for carnival games, table numbers, make-your-own sandwich suggestion drawings
- Decoration– Make paper pom poms, balloons, streamers, other pretty fun things
- Favors/ Seat assignments
- Picnic Blankets/ Table coverings
- Picnic Baskets
- The wedding party and what they will wear
- Camping welcome kits
- Hotel welcome kits
- Menu for the wedding week
- My dress, veil, shoes, and strong girdle...
- Jeff’s suit, shirt, tie and shoes
- Research officiants and plan ceremony
- Buy rings
- Ring Pillow
- Wedding Programs
- Hire or enlist a friend to do face painting
- Prizes for field day games
- Field day games…
- Marriage Certificate
- The cake and topper
- Plan the clean up
Whew! Tons of work!!