For the scoop on this series of posts, click here!
THIS WEEK’S MENU
- Pesto Egg McMuffins
- Beef, Blue Cheese and Orange Sandwiches
- Provençale Chicken
- Puffy Cinnamon Orange Oven Pancake
THE GROCERY LIST (for 2 people)
- 12 english muffins
- 2 dozen eggs
- 1 small jar of pesto
- 20 small crusty rolls or 10 sandwich sized ones
- 5 oranges
- cider vinegar
- 1 bag or bunch baby spinach
- about 24 oz. flank steak
- 6 oz. crumbled blue cheese
- 5 large bone-in chicken breasts
- 4 yellow bell peppers
- 3 16oz. cans cannellini beans
- 1 28oz. can diced italian tomatoes
- 1 % milk
WHAT WE ALREADY HAD AT HOME
- olive oil
- cooking spray
- dried basil
- all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar
PREP ON SUNDAY
Flank Steak for Sandwiches
- 24 oz. flank steak
- olive oil or cooking spray
Season steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Grill steak in a grill pan, on a grill or in an oiled cast iron pan about 8 minutes per side. Place on a plate, cover loosely with foil and rest for 10 minutes. Slice very thinly across the grain, and store in the fridge for the week.
Dressing for Sandwiches
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- zest of one of your oranges (wrap the orange in plastic wrap after you zest it b/c you’re going to need it!)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
Put everything in a small plastic container with a lid and shake to combine. Store in the fridge for the week. You will need to give it a shake each day before making your sandwiches.
- 5 large skinned chicken breasts- bone-in
- 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 yellow bell peppers, diced
- 3 16oz. cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28 oz. can italian diced tomatoes, undrained
Place chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker. Sprinkle with basil, salt and pepper. Top with everything else. Cook 8 hours on low. Store in the fridge for the week.
BREAKFAST- 10 minutes
Pesto Egg McMuffins
- 2 eggs
- 2 english muffins
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- olive oil or cooking spray
Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Crack both eggs into the pan. Toast both english muffins. When the muffins are toasted, spread each side with some pesto right out of the toaster so it melts into the bread a bit. Cook your eggs as well done as you like them. Salt and pepper the eggs. Top the bottom half of each muffin with an egg and finish off with the other muffin half. Eat!
LUNCH- 5 minutes
Beef, Blue Cheese and Orange Sandwiches
- 2 regular sized crusty rolls or 4 small ones, sliced in half
- 1 cup baby spinach
- blue cheese crumbles
- 1 orange, peel cut off and sliced into segments
Pile the baby spinach on the bottom half of your bread. Top with beef, sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles and drizzle with dressing. Pat the orange slices dry with a paper towel and arrange on top. Finish each sandwich off with the top of the roll and eat immediately or wrap tightly in foil and refridgerate until lunchtime.
DINNER- 5 minutes
- 1 chicken breast, cut in half
- 2 cups of the bean mixture
Divide everything between two plates and reheat. Enjoy!
DESSERT- 40 minutes
Puffy Cinnamon Orange Oven Pancake
This is ridiculously easy and yummy. Top it berries or sauteed apples for your next brunch or breakfast or drizzle with chocolate for a rustic dessert!
Preheat oven to 400.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- zest of half of one of your oranges (wrap up the orange tightly after you zest it so it doesn’t dry out before you use it for your sandwiches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- powdered sugar
Place butter in the bottom of a 9″ pie dish. Place in the preheating oven to melt the butter. While it melts, whisk eggs and milk together in a bowl. Add flour, zest and cinnamon. Whisk until just combined. Take the dish out of the oven and brush the butter up on the sides of the dish and swirl all around. Pour in the batter and bake 30 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Immediately sift powdered sugar over the top and serve.
4 responses to “Save Your Money- Buy Our Groceries: Vol. 19”
enough already!! where is my click-to-buy-the-groceries button with automatic-delivery option?!
Why don’t you contact pink dot about that or something?! 😉
Ahh…Pink Dot. How I miss thee….
Would you say your oven pancake is the same as a Dutch Baby? They are all the rage here in the northwest, dontchyaknow.
Yep! This is definitely like a cinnamon orange dutch baby. The only difference is that some dutch baby recipes call for a little sugar in the batter and a drizzle of lemon juice after it comes out of the oven, which I didn’t do for this one. It is SO SO SO delicious with the delicate orange flavor!