For the scoop on this series of posts, click here!
THIS WEEK’S MENU
- Yogurt with Peaches and Crunch
- Italian Chicken Sausage, White Bean and Kale Stew
- Mixed Veggie Quesadillas
- Asian Pear and Orange Salad
- Rosemary Cucumbers
THE GROCERY LIST (for 2 people)
- 5 asian pears
- 5 navel oranges
- 5 large peaches
- 3 large yellow onions
- 3 small zucchini
- 1 small pack of mushrooms (sliced or whole)
- 1 bag fresh sweet potato sticks or 1 sweet potato
- 1 bunch of kale
- 10 persian cucumbers
- fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 lbs. hot italian chicken sausage
- parmesan cheese
- shredded quesadilla cheese (use what you like; cheddar, Monterey jack, pepper jack, etc.)
- 10 rolls or crusty bread (to have with the stew)
- 10 flour tortillas
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 15 oz. cans cannellini beans
- 1 15oz. can black beans
- yummy crunchy cereal to go in your yogurt
- sour cream
- 8 cups of yogurt
WHAT WE ALREADY HAD AT HOME
- red wine vinegar
- Hawaiian spice or taco seasonings
- olive oil
- cooking spray
PREP ON SUNDAY
The Veggies for the Quesadillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 small zucchini, diced
- 1 bag of sweet potato sticks, diced or 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced (small)
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small thing of mushrooms, diced
- Hawaiian spice or your favorite taco seasonings
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook just until it starts to sweat. Add sweet potato and cook until it starts to brown. Add zucchini and mushrooms and cook until softened. Salt and season to taste. Add beans and toss to combine. Store in fridge for the week.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 1/2 lbs. italian chicken sausage, casings removed and sliced
- 1 bunch kale, rinsed, dark curly part of the leaves ONLY, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4 15oz. cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Heat oil in a dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium high and add the sausage. Cook until you get some brown bits on the sausage (chicken sausage is usually precooked, so you are just trying to brown it for flavor). Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the kale in batches, tossing until it all wilts and fits in the pan. Add beans and stock. Mix well. Heat to boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes more. Add vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Store in fridge.
- about 10 persian cucumbers, sliced or diced or cut into hunks
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
Mix everything together and refrigerate. Toss at least once each day.
BREAKFAST- 15 minutes
Yogurt with Peaches and Crunch
You can make this however you like, but for each person, we use about 3/4 cup of yogurt, 1/2 of a peach, and 1/2 cup of crunch.
LUNCH- 5 minutes
Italian Chicken Sausage, White Bean and Kale Stew
Heat one portion of the stew in the microwave and toast up a roll or slice of bread. Top stew with a little shaved parmesan.
SNACK- no minutes
You made them already! Toss them quickly before scooping out a little portion. These only get better each day!
DINNER- 15 minutes
Mixed Veggie Quesadillas
- 1 cup (or more if you want) precooked veggies
- 2 tortillas
- cooking spray
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- sour cream and salsa on the side
Heat a skillet over medium high heat and spray lightly with cooking spray. Place one tortilla in and sprinkle evenly with half of the mixed veggies. Let warm for about 1 minute. Sprinkle with half the cheese and let sit another 30 to 45 seconds or until the cheese starts to melt. Fold in half and continue to cook, flipping once, until slightly browned and the cheese is melted. Repeat with the other tortilla. Slice and serve with sour cream and salsa.
Asian Pear and Orange Salad
- 1 asian pear, cored and sliced
- 1 navel orange, peeled and cut into chunks
- kosher salt
Toss fruit with a TINY sprinkle of kosher salt. Serve with quesadillas.
2 responses to “Save Your Money- Buy Our Groceries: Vol. 6”
Mmmm….what a divine collection this week! Hearty and full of autumn goodness. LOVE the idea of Hawaiian spice for the quesadillas. Inspired by a recent trip, perhaps? ; )
Oh yes! As were the sweet potatoes within!